Friday, September 25, 2009

Have Lemons? Make Lemonade!

Finding a job in NYC has definitely been hard, and it seems like it's only gonna get tougher. Is it depressing for me? You can bet it is! I have days where I am so full of energy, with an optimistic attitude, and then I have sudden moments where I just have breakdowns. My lovely new friend Danielle  calls them: "I hate New York days." We randomly became great friends after we both moved to NYC at the same time, for the same reasons, and met at the LDS employment center.  We have kept each other going in our ups and downs.

As a way to forget about my problems, stress and worries, I decided that at least once a week I would go explore a random part of NYC I hadn't already seen. So far, it has been immensely entertaining since everything out in NYC is a first for me. I had never been here before and to suddenly take a chance and move out here has truly become an adventure for me. I've seen almost everything by now: Times Square, The Naked Cowboy, 9/11 memorial site, Rockefeller Plaza, Brooklyn Bridge and Central Park. Of course, there are still many things I have yet to see, such as the Statue of Liberty. However, I am a very poor college graduate out in the wild trying to land my first broadcast journalism job, so everything that requires no payment or fee is what I plan on enjoying before I hit the 20 dollar ticket to see the top of The Rock at the NBC tower.

Tonight, as part of one of my adventures, I decided to call one of my other new friends, Jon, and go sight  seeing around the city. First we, thought about going to the movies, but then I remembered it would cost me 12 bucks, money I could definitely save for my next grocery bill. I decided to skip the idea and head out to Jon's instead where we could figure out what to do. Once I was over at his place, we then thought it would be so fun to go to F A O Schwarz, NYC's amazing toy store that reminded me of the movie Home Alone 2. The idea also quickly died when we realized it closed at 8:00p and the time was 7:45p. Jon and I ended up going to 42nd street, the Times Square area, where we walked all the way up to about 59th street (just before hitting Central Park) and then all the way back down to 47th street. Throughout this walk, we managed to find a bunch of super amazing stores (Gucci! Prada! Armani! Versace! Apple! All in my opinion of course), then break my one and only camera (so sad!), and get lost looking for a Wendy's that ended up closing three hours before we got there. To sum things up, we settled for a chocolate shake and fries at the Mcdonalds across the street from the Wendy's it took us forever to find, and finally headed back home on the subway.

The good thing about my broken camera, however, was that I did manage to get very the small amount of pictures we took tonight onto my computer, which was something I though might not work out. Below is a picture Jon took of me while I was sitting on the fountains of the FOX tower (I think it was), in front of Radio City. It was his idea to get a shot of this background and I loved it!



My overall lesson from worrying too much about the negatives: always look at the bright side of everything. Something good will always come out of something bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment