Sunday, October 24, 2010

Laredo: Definitely Another World

It's now been just about 11 days since I arrived to Laredo. I would say that's enough time to state judgment on the place. But first, I do have to admit, though, at how accurate the comments I heard about the place were...

Everything in Laredo:
  •  Has horrible service- Went to dinner last night. Had to ask the waiter three times for water, and after I finally got it, he disappeared and never came back. I had to get up and find out where we could pay for our meals.
  • Is VERY expensive - I called 3 decent looking salons to get price ranges on a hair cut. They all START at $50!
  • Is BORING- The only time I'm enjoying myself is when I'm at work... gotta love news reporting.
  • Is HUMID- Have I ever mentioned how much I hate humidity? Probably not because I've never experienced it like I have here. It's horrible! Give me some nice and dry Arizona air please.
  • Spanglish or all Spanish- Now, I can understand that Spanglish has become a little bit of a new culture for Hispanic families, but we are still in America and with this being said, English should be the respected public language. I'll go somewhere and even if I speak to an individual in English and insist in keeping the conversation in it, they don't care they'll talk back to you in Spanish until you give in... bugs me!
  • Smelly- I've have yet to find a building or area in the darn town and not have my nose itch because something smells. Also, apparently people don't mind living right next to water treatment plants that smell like butt. There are a few of those around and they are all located right smack in the middle of neighborhoods. Interesting...
  • Is CORRUPT!!- This one has to be the winner for the worst thing in Laredo. I'm amazed at just how unqualified so many city officials are for the positions they have, and the way they managed to get their positions. 

But even with all these crazy things, I still think I'll be okay. Although complaining is what it appears I'm doing, I'm working on trying not to mind all this stuff and rather just be an example of what I believe to be right and proper so I can be an example to those who do care to make a positive difference.

Also, now that I'm here and have received my very first on-air opportunity in this place, Laredo will, indeed, have a special place in my heart. That's why I'm still going to enjoy it as best as I can. 

I love my job here. I'm working as hard as I can to perfect my broadcasting skills to the fullest!

 

1 comment: